The Tudor-style building with English tavern style inside was designed by architects Burnham F. Hoyt and brother Merrill H. Hoyt, and built by Francis Kirchof for about $50,000.
The Denver Press Club recently celebrated its 150th anniversary by joining the ranks of the National Register of Historic Places. An anniversary celebration and formal dedication took place Aug. 2 with guests including U.S Rep. Diana DeGette, Denver Mayor Michael B. Hancock, Colorado historians Dr. Tom Noel and Stephen J. Leonard, and Rocky Mountain News veteran, Denver City Councilman and former Club President Kevin Flynn.
The club began in 1867 – although not officially incorporated as the Denver Press Club until 1877 – but at that point there was no actual building. Members initially met in the grocery store basement of the club’s first president, Wolfe Londoner, on Larimer Street, then in hotels prior to constructing the building in 1925. The Tudor-style building with English tavern style inside was designed by architects Burnham F. Hoyt and brother Merrill H. Hoyt, and built by Francis Kirchof for about $50,000.
The building at 1330 Glenarm Place in downtown Denver was designated an historic landmark by the Denver Landmark Preservation Commission in 1986. Visitors have included Presidents Theodore Roosevelt, William Taft (both of whom received honorary memberships) and Woodrow Wilson, but women weren’t allowed to join until the mid-1960s.
Today the club is led by President David Milstead with the aim “to support the journalistic profession and work.” A statement on the club’s website notes: “As the nation’s oldest press club, there has never been a time when we are needed more to promote and strengthen journalism while educating on issues that protect and encourage an empowered Fourth Estate.”
2017 All Rights Reserved. Villager Publishing |